Tell Me More
Why Personal Support Workers (PSWs) Need to Purchase Liability and Crime Insurance
- Everyday activities or incidents that may give rise to liability and crime insurance claims can include:
- Preparing a meal that accidentally causes a fire and subsequent property damage.
- Injuring a client in the act of lifting or repositioning them.
- Forgetting to remind a client to take their medication.
- Having a situation in which a client’s valuables or jewellery go missing.
- Provides coverage for PSW activity outside the scope of work provided for a particular employer.
- Protects the PSW from facing the potential financial hardship of being held personally responsible in the case of an insurable incident.
- In the case of liability incidents, the resultant claim amounts can be catastrophic.
- Being insured allows PSWs to focus on the quality of care and other services they provide knowing coverage is in place should there be an unforeseen incident.
- Patients and families may be more willing to employ a PSW that carries adequate liability and crime insurance. In many cases, potential clients make proof of insurance a requirement.
Ready to Buy?
Purchasing insurance to cover you for your PSW activities is easy. All you need to do is complete the online application and submit your request through the link provided below. If you qualify for the PSW coverage, you will be able to bind coverage, make payment online, and have the insurance declaration pages/certificate emailed to you as soon as your coverage is approved.
Please note that this program has an annual renewal date of September 1. Your policy will expire on the next occurrence of September 1 at 12:01 a.m. ET. All premiums are fully earned and non-refundable when the policy is issued. Please keep this in mind when purchasing coverage under this program.
You can purchase PSW insurance coverage protection through Marsh for as low as $400/year (includes $100 Marsh administration fee) plus a policy administration and payment processing fee and applicable taxes.*
*Plus a policy administration and payment processing fee and applicable taxes. $2,000,000 liability coverage available for $400/year. $5,000,000 limit option is available at additional cost.
Your insurance program coverages will be placed with a program administered by Marsh Canada Limited. Marsh Canada has engaged in a competitive marketing process to offer a competitive product. We have negotiated this Program on a group basis with the insurer but we have not acted as a broker for any individual participant. This Program may be for a term of several years and may not be negotiated annually.
Information on this website represents a synopsis of coverage and is provided as a reference only. The actual policy, including endorsements determines coverage. It contains exclusions, limitations and other provisions not referenced (or only briefly summarized) here and the policy should be consulted for full coverage terms, conditions and requirements. Deductibles may apply. For exact terms, definitions, limitations, and exclusions, please speak with your licensed Marsh Canada Limited insurance broker, or refer to the policy wording.
This information is not intended to be taken as advice regarding any individual situation and should not be relied upon as such. The information contained herein is based on sources we believe reliable, but we make no representation or warranty as to its accuracy. Marsh shall have no obligation to update this publication and shall have no liability to you or any other party arising out of this publication or any matter contained herein. Any modelling, analytics, or projections are subject to inherent uncertainty, and the Marsh Analysis could be materially affected if any underlying assumptions, conditions, information, or factors are inaccurate or incomplete or should change. Marsh makes no representation or warranty concerning the application of policy wordings or the financial condition or solvency of insurers or re-insurers. Marsh makes no assurances regarding the availability, cost, or terms of insurance coverage.