As a Personal Support Worker (PSW), you are on the frontlines of the healthcare industry and exposed to the potential liability for any unforeseen or accidental mistakes that take place. Incidents giving rise to a claim are commonplace and could even include neglecting to remind your client to take their medication or causing an inadvertent injury while lifting or repositioning a client. Prepared PSWs obtain proper insurance for the services they perform and protect themselves from the stress and uncertainty of unforeseen potential accusations. Even if your employer provides you with liability insurance for your services while you are working on behalf of the company, any moonlighting or services you provide outside of your employer’s time would typically not be covered. The claims generated from uninsured liability incidents have the potential to change the lives of PSWs who are not adequately protected.
Given the high ceiling for potential PSW liability claims and the fact that claims may arise from everyday incidents, insurance coverage is recommended for all PSWs working in Ontario. Through the Personal Support Worker Insurance Program, Marsh Canada Limited (Marsh) can provide PSWs meeting the insurance program’s eligibility criteria with access to liability and crime insurance underwritten by Aviva Insurance Company of Canada.
- $2,000,000 or $5,000,000 limits for Commercial General Liability (CGL) insurance are available.
- Commercial General Liability is on an occurrence policy basis.
- Professional services included in the definitions under the CGL.
- $500,000 each claim and annual aggregate for Sexual Wrongdoing limited liability protecting you against allegations of abuse or allegations of abuse by others employed by you on a claims made policy form.
- Professional Liability (included in chosen General Liability limit) – Covering you for liability arising from negligence in performing your duties as a PSW. Coverage applies for the year the policy is in force — no matter when the claim is made.
- $5,000 Third Party Bonding - This policy also includes third party bonding to protect you if you are accused of stealing property from a client.
- Broad definition of bodily injury including false arrest and wrongful detention, libel, slander and defamation, invasion of privacy, mental anguish, and discrimination.
- No deductibles, except for Non-Owned Automobile where a $250 deductible exists.
Please note that this program has an annual renewal date of September 1. Your policy will expire on the next occurrence of September 1 at 12:01 a.m. ET. All premiums are fully earned and non-refundable when the policy is issued. Please keep this in mind when purchasing coverage under this program.
You can purchase PSW insurance coverage protection through Marsh for as low as $400/year (includes $100 Marsh administration fee) plus a policy administration and payment processing fee and applicable taxes.*
*Plus a policy administration and payment processing fee and applicable taxes. $2,000,000 liability coverage available for $400/year. $5,000,000 limit option is available at additional cost.
Your insurance program coverages will be placed with a program administered by Marsh Canada Limited. Marsh Canada has engaged in a competitive marketing process to offer a competitive product. We have negotiated this Program on a group basis with the insurer but we have not acted as a broker for any individual participant. This Program may be for a term of several years and may not be negotiated annually.
Information on this website represents a synopsis of coverage and is provided as a reference only. The actual policy, including endorsements determines coverage. It contains exclusions, limitations and other provisions not referenced (or only briefly summarized) here and the policy should be consulted for full coverage terms, conditions and requirements. Deductibles may apply. For exact terms, definitions, limitations, and exclusions, please speak with your licensed Marsh Canada Limited insurance broker, or refer to the policy wording.
This information is not intended to be taken as advice regarding any individual situation and should not be relied upon as such. The information contained herein is based on sources we believe reliable, but we make no representation or warranty as to its accuracy. Marsh shall have no obligation to update this publication and shall have no liability to you or any other party arising out of this publication or any matter contained herein. Any modelling, analytics, or projections are subject to inherent uncertainty, and the Marsh Analysis could be materially affected if any underlying assumptions, conditions, information, or factors are inaccurate or incomplete or should change. Marsh makes no representation or warranty concerning the application of policy wordings or the financial condition or solvency of insurers or re-insurers. Marsh makes no assurances regarding the availability, cost, or terms of insurance coverage.